It can be worrying when babies and children become constipated. As a parent, it’s easy to feel helpless. In this article, you’ll learn about the causes of baby constipation and what you can do to prevent it. We gathered a few tips that will help prevent and cure constipation.
A few cures your Pediatrician or OT may recommend can include giving your child a warm bath. Relaxation may help make it easier to go. You can also see if your child will drink some prune juice. Prune juice is known as a diuretic that may help your kid go to the bathroom easily. As a last resort, you can try giving your kid Miralax. It’s important to note that keeping kids on Miralax long-term isn’t the best solution.
What Causes Constipation?
While there may be certain medical conditions that lead to constipation, the number one cause is diet. The reason a diet can be bad is because your child is:
- Not eating enough foods rich in fiber, like vegetables and fruits.
- Consuming unhealthy, processed foods instead of nutrient rich foods.
- Not drinking enough water.
When introducing solids to your baby, it’s important to try to give them foods that are high in fiber to prevent constipation.
Solutions For Baby Constipation
How do you solve this problem? One way is to introduce more fiber into your child’s diet. Fiber helps the body cleanse itself and is an important part of your child’s diet.
Paying attention to your child’s nutritional needs is the first step to prevention. It is important to be aware of what your child is eating and start making those essential changes:
- Read labels and avoid foods with added sugar such like apple juice, orange juice, and empty calorie foods like crackers. Carbohydrates like pasta and bread may also cause constipation because they are very low in fiber and liquids.
- Stay away from heavily processed baby foods. You can make your own baby foods! You’ll be able to know exactly what’s in your homemade baby food.
- Be sure that your child drinks plenty of water. Find out how much fluid your child should be drinking.
Remember, as a parent, you are the first step to the solution! Child and baby constipation can seem scary and intimidating, but you’ll be ready for it if it happens again.
Check Out These Other Great Resources:
- Road Safety Tips Every Kids Needs to Know
- Newborn Photo Ideas, Tips and Hacks
- Mom Hacks! Tricks, Tips and Secrets!